Educational excursions do not only provide valuable experiential learning opportunities, but are also fun, spell adventure and certainly form the most enjoyable part of learning.
All excursions are linked to the programme, thereby increasing student knowledge and understanding of photography, as well as adding realism to the topic of study. On photography excursions we focus on nature-photography, wildlife- photography, macro-photography and underwater photography, which can obviously not be done in a formal environment. Whereas design excursions focus on cultural aspects and industry related venues and events. This is in line with VSS’s mission to provide students with opportunities to compile portfolios of high standard and diversity.
Field trips also provide limitless opportunities for team-building and personal development: Leadership; Teamwork; Self-confidence; Stress management.
Educational excursions are arranged to enhance students’ learning by providing opportunities for participation in activities outside the normal college routing. All excursions are well-planned programme based activities aimed at maximising students’ learning experiences in different disciplines.
Excursion venues include art galleries, art and other museums, heritage sites, printing facilities (litho, web, digital, photographic and large-format), trade shows, the zoo, nature and wildlife venues, etc.
The purpose of educational excursions is to:
- Provide quality of education, positive attitudes to visual arts and motivation towards the subject area
- Awaken intelligence
- Develop students’ powers of observation
- Expose students to new people, cultures, places and ideas
- Give students’ a real-life experience to production in various sectors in the industry
- Improve skills by exchanging experience and knowledge concerning techniques and methods of work
- Opportunities for close interaction with peers
- Acquisition of knowledge
- Hands-on real life experiences
- Examine applications of theory in practice
- Develop creative thinking
- Relief from the drudgery that academic study sometimes becomes