NATIONAL CERTIFICATE: PHOTOGRAPHY
Duration of Program: 1 Year Full Time
This qualification reflects work-based needs of the photography sector and enables students to select relationships and contexts for photography, including the required interpretation, analysis, pre-visualising, conceptualisation and capturing of images. On successful completion of this qualification, a student will be a well-rounded entry-level photographer with a good fundamental knowledge of the photography field, coupled with interpersonal and business skills, preparing for later specialisation in specific photography or related fields. The Qualification therefore provides the student with the flexibility to articulate with the Design, Visual Arts and Craft Industries and other industries where photography can play a major role, such as the Printing and Publishing Industries.
Career opportunities include:
- Photographers for newspapers and media agencies (e.g. advertising agencies, web site developers, publishers)
- Self-employed freelance photographers and entrepreneurs
- Photographer assistants
- Technical assistants providing technical support for the sector in laboratories and printing companies
- Curators or exhibitors at a gallery
- Information and science photographers.
Students acquire the following range of skills:
- Interpreting and analysing general principles and concepts of photographic assignments
- Liaising with clients, interpret and analyse briefs and build client relations
- Pre-visualising, conceptualising and analysing approaches according to the given specifications
- Capturing a range of images in multiple genres like fashion, studio, portraiture, wildlife, photojournalism, avant garde and more
- Post-production processing, documenting, managing and archiving
- Developing career opportunities in photography.
Audio-Visual Production (introduction)
Photo & Art History
National Senior Certificate (Matric) preferable; or
Grade Eleven Statement of Results and an interview; or
RPL (contact admissions)